MEC Pumza Dyantyi hails from Engcobo, an area under the Chris Hani District Municipality. She was appointed MEC for Health in the Eastern Cape on 23 May 2014. She holds the following qualifications:
- Master’s in Business Administration,
- Diploma in Management studies,
- Degree in Medicine, Diploma in Midwifery and
- Diploma in General Nursing.
She served on the following Boards:
- Mida Private School Nelson Mandela Museum and Anuscor. Currently she serves on the following Boards:
- Ntinga Development Agency and
- Government Employees Medical Scheme (GEMS)
MEC Pumza Dyantyi’s exile life span in different countries. She was trained as an Umkhnto Wesizwe soldier in 1978 at Novo Katengue Camp in Angola. Whilst in Angola, she worked as a nurse in Camps. She was part of the Mighty Few Women of the Muncanda Detachment, Company 1, Platoon 2. She survived the bombardment of Novo Katengo in 1979. She was a Section Commissioner whilst in the ANC army (MK). MEC Dyantyi trained in Cuba as a Medical doctor.
After completing her medical training, she was deployed by the ANC to Zimbabwe to work in that country’s public hospitals. After the unbanning of the ANC, she came back to the country and worked in Umtata General Hospital in 1993 as a locum. She was deployed as a Mayor of Umbashe and served her political home in the following structures:
- ANC Provincial Executive Committee member
- ANC Veterans League – Provincial Secretary
- MKMVA NEC member
- ANC Women’s League member
- ANC EC Health Subcommittee - Convener